The Centre for Development of Academic Excellence (CDAE), or Pusat Pembangunan Kecemerlangan Akademik, was formed by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) on the 1st of January 2012. Upon the merger with the Student Advisory & Development Unit on the 1st of January 2013, the centre acquired the name The Centre for Academic Excellence and Student Advisory & Development, or Pusat Kecemerlangan Akademik dan Penasihatan & Pembangunan Pelajar. This centre aims to improve the teaching and learning (T&L) quality among educators and students while planning and executing activities in accordance to the National Higher Education Strategic Plan and National e-Learning Policy initiated by the Ministry of Education (MOE).
CDAE is led by the Director, Professor Abd Karim Alias and is currently located at the H24 Building, Lorong Cahaya. The centre is also mandated to implement the USM APEX Transformation Plan by developing and conducting activities focused on nurturing and learning. Through the establishment of the CDAE, USM has taken another step towards advancing the higher education environment within the university and attaining the ultimate aim of the MOE; to turn the country into a centre of excellence for higher education. CDAE is destined to become an important component in the advancement of T&L activities at USM.
The objectives of CDAE include:
- Transforming teaching and learning (T&L) practices towards achieving excellence and fulfilling the aspiration of the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015-2015 (Higher Education), National e-Learning Policy, and the USM APEX Transformation Plan 2020.
- Implementing continuous professional development programmes to equip academics with the current innovation and trends in T&L, research, publication and academic leadership.
- Implementing academic development programme and advisory for holistic student development.
- Promoting the use of technology-enhanced learning in T&L among academics to enhance the quality of delivery and enrich the learning experiences of students.
- Promoting innovative teaching and learning practices such as blended learning, flipped classroom, gamification, to create an engaging learning experiences for inculturation of the 21st century skills.
- Developing of OER and MOOC in optimising the cost effectiveness, branding and visibility of USM expertise, and inculturation of lifelong learning.
- Serving as a one-stop reference centre for academics and students for matters pertaining to T&L.